Ecumenical Advocacy Days Conference Coordinator Job Description
Ecumenical Advocacy Days for Global Peace with Justice is seeking a Conference Coordinator for its April 2022 Virtual Advocacy Days event. The Conference Coordinator will build on the dynamic tradition established by previous annual meetings and be committed to facilitating an ongoing exploration of ways to make the 2022 event and future conferences even more exciting and powerful, with the goal of expanding our impact on the domestic and international policies we address. Experience in working with ecumenical relations and faith-based organizations, and a working knowledge of the denominational church world and familiarity with Christian theology is a plus.
The EAD Conference Coordinator is a contracted position from September 1, 2021, through May 31st, 2022, with the possibility of an extension for future conferences as the budget allows. The position will oversee the execution of the essential deliverables listed below for the 2022 virtual conference, with a possibility of adding in-person components as capacity and COVID-related concerns allow.
The contractual payment for this period is within the range of $55,000 – $70,000, depending on experience. Flexibility is required, as the January through April period is intensive. As a contractor, the EAD Conference Director provides their own workspace, determines which hours they work with the understanding that the essential deliverables must be performed, and supplies their own equipment, such as computer and cell phone. Health or other benefits are not offered.
EAD does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, disability or veteran status in employment or in the provision of services.
Our vision is for EAD to be the nation’s largest and most diverse grassroots ecumenical community of witness moving U.S. public policy toward a more just, peaceful and ecologically sustainable world. The annual conference is sponsored by more than 40 national religious and non-profit organizations and traditionally brings together 700-1000 people of faith in-person to Washington, DC. However, in 2022 the annual conference will be held online.
The Conference Coordinator leads this collaborative effort by facilitating various volunteers, working groups and standing committees. The Conference Coordinator is responsible for deliverables covering all aspects of the conference including, but not limited to:
Essential Conference Coordinator Deliverables
- General oversight and planning
a. Support meetings of Leadership Team, and Track workshop organizers
b. Serve as an ex-officio member of the EAD Executive Committee
c. Maintain communication among all committees and sponsors
d. Work with the Executive Committee to hire and supervise an EAD Registrar to ensure efficient registration process
e. Report progress on registration and budget throughout the year to the Leadership team
f. Work with the EAD Executive Committee to maintain communication with EAD sponsors and other income sources to receive financial contributions and track income/expenses along with the fiscal agency
g. Work with the Executive Committee to recruit new sponsors and participants, especially from unrepresented and under-represented constituencies
- Conference program oversight
a. Work with Leadership Team on general plans and plenary speakers
b. Work with the online platform and website/AV company to ensure a technically smooth virtual conference experience
c. Ensure smooth and effective lobby day activities and meetings
d. Help facilitate immediate pre/post events planned by sponsors
e. Coordinate working groups for the event
f. Manage digital (or physical for in person event) production of materials for conference such as: program booklet, conference schedule, nametags, forms to report on Congressional visits and evaluate the conference, and creation of conference packets.
- Online registration and communication
a. Oversee management of website for promotional, educational and registration purposes
b. Oversee the update of the website and virtual event platform with information as available
c. Coordinate design and placement of advertisements in print and electronic publications (denominational and public)
a. Ensure reception of all remaining committed financial contributions and the payment of all outstanding bills
b. Provide a final post-conference financial report
c. Manage production of a registration report
d. Produce or oversee the report from conference evaluations and ensure its distribution
e. Ensure distribution of lobby visits reports
- Education: 4-year degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience: Demonstrated organizational abilities of online and/or in-person event management and planning. Experience in volunteer management that engages and motivates volunteers to carry out successful events, fundraising and program activities. Experience and skill in financial oversight. Experience in online event platforms, videoconferencing, word processing, spreadsheet, database, and social networking applications (Facebook and Twitter).
- Skills: Must possess ability to think creatively and strategically; demonstrate initiative, be self-motivated and function independently; work within a team environment; be flexible; possess high energy; exhibit a positive “can-do” attitude; and attention to detail. Strong interpersonal and public verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively are required.
- Accountability: The Conference Coordinator reports to the chair of the Executive Committee. The Conference Coordinator shall provide a regular summary of activities on the deliverables to the EAD Executive Committee.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit resume and cover letter by August 13, 2021, via email to:
Presbyterian Church (USA), Office of Public Witness Email: [email protected]